Новости Энциклопедия переводчика Блоги Авторский дневник Форум Работа

Декларация Поиск О нас пишут Награды Читальня Конкурсы Опросы

ГП-цитатник

Английский семинар №10

Модератор: LyoSHICK

Re: Приглашение на английский семинар

Сообщение LyoSHICK » Сб янв 23, 2010 23:24

Какой-то ползучий гишпанизм...

Ну, ложьте уже, в конце концов и в веточку!
LyoSHICK
Стажёр

Сообщение ellet » Сб янв 23, 2010 23:37

(Выглядывая из-под обломков обрушившегося мира, шепотом) Может, пока рассказ выбирают, завал и рассосется... :grin:
Мы, филологи, тоже могем обратить нашу специальность в орудие пытки. (с) jane doe
ellet

Сообщение AlexL » Вс янв 24, 2010 00:13

Попробую - смотря по обстановке на работе и дома.
Путаница в головах клиентов только приветствуется.
Вы всерьез считаете, что при природных катаклизмах вас спасут наличные деньги? (с) baudet
AlexL
Мать-ехидна

Язык(-и): no/ru/en-ru/en/no

Сообщение Di-Metra » Вс янв 24, 2010 00:23

LyoSHICK писал(а):
Di-Metra писал(а):взять те тексты, которые

¡Di-Metra! ¿Que paso?
Разве есть оригиналы оригинальнее нас (где мы есть)?
Переводим чё дадут!

Entonces, disculpeme, colega.

Катя, я, наверное, неверно сформулировала предложение. Идея была отослать перевод на конкурс (кому это интересно), а потом (по истечении срока того конкурса обсуждать то, что получилось у наших участников). О неэтичном и мысли не было! :roll: Ну, нет так нет, свой собственный конкурс всегда лучше чужого, но минус в том, что там, скорее всего, больше участников.

1950 знаков или 1999 — это все очень условно. Давайте рассмотрим конкретные варианты (я тоже могу что-нибудь поискать в сети) и выберем либо короткий текст, либо отрывок текста средней величины.
Over the hills and far away...
Di-Metra

Язык(-и): Англ./румынск./молд.-русский

Сообщение eCat-Erina » Вс янв 24, 2010 02:29

Меня вполне устраивают предложенные Marko фантасты, так что готова рассмотреть более конкретные предложения.

Di-Metra писал(а):Ну, нет так нет, свой собственный конкурс всегда лучше чужого, но минус в том, что там, скорее всего, больше участников.

Охота пуще неволи. Вы можете поучаствовать и там, и там. Ей-богу, не вижу смысла устраивать двойное шоу.
¡Ser feliz!
Дорогие коллеги, в условиях сложной геополитической ситуации, пожалуйста, постарайтесь сохранить ценные дружеские и профессиональные отношения друг с другом.
eCat-Erina
मोक्ष

Блог: Просмотр блога (159)
Язык(-и): англ>рус

Сообщение AlexL » Вс янв 24, 2010 10:21

Ну, бывает и three-ring circus :)
Вы всерьез считаете, что при природных катаклизмах вас спасут наличные деньги? (с) baudet
AlexL
Мать-ехидна

Сообщение Marko » Вс янв 24, 2010 15:51

Предваритльное обсуждение, как вижу, закончилось.
Будем начинать?

На семинар предлагаю отрывок, выделенный жирным шрифтом.

Connie Willis
1920: New Hat

"Sir, how long before we reach Denver?" Clara asked the conductor timidly.
"Two hours, ma'am." Good, Clara thought, relieved. The lawyer would still be in his office. She could see him and find out what Uncle Matthew had left her in his will and maybe even catch a train back to Chicago tonight and not have to spend the night in Denver. If they even had a hotel. Kane had assured her Denver was a big city, but the towns the train had been passing through had grown smaller and smaller, and at several stops there hadn't been a town at all, just a dirt road leading off across the prairie. It looked exactly like the pictures of the Wild West she'd seen in books. "There won't be any Indians, will there?" she'd asked her fiancé.
"Of course not," Kane had said impatiently. "Cowboys and Indians were only in the old days. It's 1924. Denver's a modern metropolis now."
But there were cowboys. She'd seen them on their horses from the train window, and cowgirls, too. One had galloped alongside the train as if trying to outrun it, waving her broad-brimmed hat and grinning. And if there were still cowboys and cowgirls, there might be Apaches, too. "And I've never traveled anywhere alone, Kane," Clara'd said. "Can't you just write the lawyer and ask him to send the papers?"
"It'll take too long, sweetheart," he'd said. "Mr. Wolfson won't hold the offer open forever. If I want to get in on it, I need to do it now."
"But I don't know anything about wills. Couldn't you send your lawyer instead?"
"I need him here, and only you can sign the papers. And it's not as if you'll have to go the whole way alone. Aunt Pearl will be with you as far as St. Louis."
But his Aunt Pearl had been almost worse than going by herself. She'd talked the entire way about mashers and confidence men who preyed on young girls who traveled alone, undermining what little courage Clara had, and about how her daughter's fiancé would never have allowed her to go out to the Wild West by herself. "I mean, anything could happen to an innocent young girl in a place like that. Still, I suppose Kane knows what he's doing. And at least now you'll have an inheritance."
If Uncle Matt left me anything, Clara thought now. She'd tried to tell Kane she wasn't sure he'd had anything to leave, but he'd said, "He was a miner, wasn't he? He probably left you a gold mine. If he did, I'll let you buy a pretty new hat."

She looked around the train at the hats the other passengers were wearing. The prettiest one was a blue cloche that a girl who'd just gotten on was wearing. She was obviously traveling alone, too, though she didn't look nervous at all, not even when a man tried to sit down next to her. She calmly stood up and came over to sit across from Clara. "Safety in numbers," she said. "So, where are you going? Denver?"
Clara nodded.
"I'm going there, too, to teach school. I've been teaching in Yuma, but I decided I wanted to try life in the city."
"Alone?"
The girl laughed. "You sound just like Mother. She's convinced I'm going to be kidnapped by white slavers. She doesn't understand that women can take care of themselves nowadays. Are you going to Denver for a job, too?"
"No, I ... have business there."
"Oh. I hope you get a chance to tour the West while you're here. There are all sorts of things to see, the Rockies and the Grand Canyon."
It's going to take all my courage just to make it to the lawyer's office and back home, Clara thought, and when they reached Denver she went straight to the taxi stand. "1438 Larimer St.," she told the driver.
He drove up a street lined with warehouses and then department stores. Ahead she could see a tall clock tower. Denver looked just like Chicago and not at all like the Wild West she'd imagined. There were trolley lines and streetlights and newsboys hawking the Rocky Mountain News, though she hadn't seen any mountains yet.
They turned onto Larimer Street, and there were the mountains, blue peaks off in the distance. They were beautiful. The buildings here were brick and not as tall or as fancy, mostly small shops, though she saw a hotel and several restaurants.
The taxi pulled over in front of a store which said, "Tents." The one next to it said, "Western Clothing," and next to that was a bicycle shop. "I don't think this is the right address," Clara said, but the taxi was already driving off. She picked up her suitcase and walked over to the western clothing store, looking for a number above the door, but there wasn't one, or on the tent store's awning. She walked back the other way, past a photographer's. Next to it was a restaurant with faded numbers painted above the open door. She went closer, peering up at them, and as she did, a huge cowboy appeared in the doorway. "Well, what do we have here?" he said, looming over her. He had a scruffy beard, and she realized to her horror that he had been drinking. It wasn't a restaurant at all. It was a speakeasy. Or a saloon! "You lookin' for me, girlie?"
"N-no," Clara stammered, backing away.
"Now, no need to go all skittish." He stepped down out of the doorway. "Come on in, and I'll buy you a lemonade." He reached for her arm.
"Tex! You stop that!" A tiny, apron-clad woman appeared in the doorway. "What do you think you're doin'?" She pushed her way between them. "You're scarin' her. Now, git!"
Amazingly, even though he was twice her size, the cowboy mumbled, "Sorry, ma'am," and shambled back inside.
"Don't mind him, hon," the woman said. "He don't get to town much. Now, how can I help? You lookin' for somebody?"
"Yes, 1438 Larimer St."
"Two doors that way, where it says, 'Western Clothing.'"
"Oh, but ... ," Clara said, dismayed, and fumbled in her bag for the lawyer's letter.
"Who exactly were you lookin' for, hon?"
"Mr. John Brewster. He's a lawyer."
"Oh, J.J.," she said, nodding. "His office is upstairs. The stairs are on the left."
"Oh, thank you," Clara said, hurrying back and up the stairs and knocking on a door with "John J. Brewster, Att'y-at-Law" on it.
"Come in," a female voice called, and she went in. A girl no older than Clara sat at a desk typing. "May I help you?" she asked.
"Yes, thank you. I wish to see Mr.Brewster."
"He isn't in today. Would you care to make an appointment? Sometime next week?"
"Next week? Oh, but I've come all the way from Illinois — "
"Oh, golly, are you Miss Easton?" the girl said, jumping up. "We didn't expect you so soon. I'll go get him." She ran out, returning with a gray-haired man with a handlebar mustache. He was still pulling on his coat, and from the smell of spirits on his breath, he'd been at the saloon, too. Oh, dear, Clara thought.
"So you're Matt Easton's niece?" he said. "Glad t'meet you. Matt and I were up at Georgetown together in the silver mining days. Matter of fact, he left you shares in his mine."
A silver mine. Kane had been right.
"Not that they're worth anything. It played out years ago."
"Oh." Kane had told her to ask whether he'd held any stocks and bonds. She did.
"Nope." He led her into his office and over to his desk, which was littered with papers. He began shuffling through them. "Lucy, what in tarnation did you do with Matt's will?"
"I put it on your desk." She plucked it out of the mess, handed it to him and said to Clara, "The papers aren't quite ready for you to look over. Mr. Brewster, why don't you have Miss Easton go back to her hotel and come in tomorrow morning?"
"I don't have a hotel yet," Clara said.
"Lucy, take her over to the Windsor and get her a room," Mr. Brewster said, "and then take her to the Manhattan and feed her some supper, while I — what did you do with that danged will?"
"I didn't do anything with it," Lucy said. "Here it is. And don't swear at me, you old coot, or I won't come back and help you." She turned to Clara. "I'll take you over to the hotel now," she said, and led her back along Larimer Street. "Sorry you caught us in such a muddle. We didn't think you'd be here till next week. But don't worry, it'll be fine tomorrow," and, when Clara shot her a doubtful glance, "I'll see to that. And you don't have to worry about Mr. Brewster. He likes a drink now and then, but he's honest as the day is long. I wouldn't work for him if he wasn't."
Clara believed her. She could envision her quitting if he did something she disapproved of, but that wasn't what was worrying her. She was worrying over how to tell Kane the bad news, so much so she didn't even taste her dinner, and as soon as she got back to the hotel, she told the clerk she needed to send a telegram. He handed her a yellow form and she printed, "KANE: NO STOCKS BONDS STOP MINE WORTHLESS CLARA," but then changed her mind. She needed to tell him herself, to explain, and to hear his comforting voice. She crumpled up the form and asked the clerk to put through a long-distance call to Kane for her.
"Have you seen the lawyer?" Kane demanded the moment she said hello. "What did your uncle leave you?"
"I don't know yet, but I'm afraid it wasn't much." She told him what Mr. Brewster had said about the mine and there not being any stocks and bonds. "He said Uncle Matt didn't — "
"What about railroad shares? Didn't he leave you anything?"
"I don't know. We haven't gone over the will yet."
"What have you been doing all this time? You know this deal can't wait."
"I know. I'm sorry," she said miserably.
"As soon as you know how much he left, let me know, but don't telephone. It's too expensive. Send me a telegram," he said and hung up. Oh, please let Uncle Matt have had shares in something, Clara thought. And please let the papers be ready tomorrow.
They were. The papers on Mr. Brewster's desk had been organized into tidy stacks, and a neat file labeled "Matthew Easton Estate" lay in the center of it. "We worked on it all night," Lucy whispered to her.
She'd tidied Mr. Brewster up, too. His hair and mustache were combed, his coat had been brushed and he looked chastened. "Miss Easton, I'd like to apologize for yesterday. I'm afraid I was under the weather. Now, as to your uncle's will —"
"Did he have any railroad shares?"
"No, he thought they were too risky. He put all the proceeds of his mine into land."
"Land?" Clara said, thinking of the barren prairie she'd seen from the train window. It hadn't looked like it was worth anything, but maybe it would be enough for Kane's business deal. "How many acres?"
"Acres? I don't know. Maybe a dozen."
A dozen. Clara's heart sank.
"Lucy, where in tarnation's that list of the land — " he said, riffling through the papers. She handed it to him. "Your uncle left you five properties on 16th Street here in Denver," Mr. Brewster read, "three on 15th, four on Curtis and five on Larimer Street, including the land this building sets on. Twenty-nine properties in all." He handed the paper to her. "Here's their assessed value and the annual income from them."
Clara stared at the totals. "But ... I don't understand. I thought you said the mine was worthless."
"Now it is, but for a few years there it was a going concern, and land in Denver was dirt cheap back then."
It was more money than she'd ever imagined. Kane could buy into dozens of business deals with it. He wouldn't be angry with her, and Kane's Aunt Pearl couldn't call her a penniless orphan anymore.
"I imagine you'll want to talk this over with your fiancé before you make any decisions. If you want to telephone him, I can have Lucy put the call through for you."
"Thank you," she said gratefully, and as soon as Lucy told her he was on the line and shut the door behind her, "Kane, hello. I'm at the lawyer's office, and — "
"What are you doing phoning me? I told you to send a telegram. Do you know how much long distance costs?"
"Yes," she said, thinking, I hope Lucy isn't still on the line and hearing this, and then realized she couldn't be. If she were, she'd have spoken right up and defended her. "But, Kane — "
"This trip of yours has already cost me a fortune," Kane said. "Were there any railroad shares?"
"No," she said.
"I should have known better than to think anybody in your family would have had the sense to invest in anything," he said, but Clara wasn't listening. She was thinking about what Lucy would have said if Kane talked to her that way. Or the woman at the saloon. She had a sudden vision of her telling him, "Now, git!"
"And I should have known better than to send you out there, that it wasn't a job for a woman."
Clara thought of Lucy, who she was certain was responsible for every paper in that estate file, and of the teacher, and the cowgirl who'd raced the train.
"Tell Mr. Brewster that my lawyer and I will be handling the matter from now on," Kane said, "and catch the next train back. When you get here, I'll have you put the estate in my name. Do you understand?"
"Yes. Goodbye." She placed the receiver back on the hook and went to the door. "Mr. Brewster, can you arrange for me to draw against the estate for my current expenses?"
"Certainly."
"Good," Clara said. "I have some business to attend to, and then I want to take you and Lucy to lunch to celebrate."
"Of course. Lucy, would you accompany Miss Easton to her hotel?"
"No, I can find my own way. I'll meet you both at one o'clock at the Manhattan," Clara said and walked quickly back to her hotel and filled out a telegram form: "KANE STOP NOT COMING HOME STOP TOURING WEST INSTEAD CLARA." She handed it to the clerk.
"Are you sure that's what you want to send?" he asked. "That many words will be expensive."
"It will." She took the form back from him and added, "ALSO INTEND TO BUY A NEW HAT."

Дата открытия семинара: 24 января 2010 года.
Срок предоставления переводов: 8 февраля 2010 года.
Начало обсуждения переводов: 9 февраля 2010 года.

Если есть какие-либо возражения по срокам, высказывайте.
Где запрещено смеяться, там, как правило, и плакать нельзя.
(Станислав Ежи Лец)
Marko
Физик

Язык(-и): en,pl,de,cs,sk>ru,uk

Сообщение LyoSHICK » Вс янв 24, 2010 18:34

Вот и замечательно. Леденящая кровь детективная история - что может быть лучше!

Сроки, наверное, даже не обсуждать. Буде возникнут индивидуальные и персональные пожелания и обстоятельства - пусть решаются инивидуально и персонально.
LyoSHICK
Стажёр

Сообщение AlexL » Вс янв 24, 2010 19:48

Это отдельный рассказ? или часть произведения? Если часть произведения, то какого? Очень интересно.
AlexL
Мать-ехидна

Сообщение Marko » Вс янв 24, 2010 19:52

Это весь рассказ, целиком и полностью.
В 2008 году издание Rocky Mountain News (существующее с 1859 года) к 150-летию Денвера попросило 11 известных писателей написать рассказы (не более 2500 слов), действие которых каким-либо образом касалось Денвера в разные исторические периоды.
Это один из таких рассказов.
Последний раз редактировалось Marko Вс янв 24, 2010 19:59, всего редактировалось 2 раз(а).
(Станислав Ежи Лец)
Marko
Физик

Сообщение LyoSHICK » Вс янв 24, 2010 19:55

Вроде трактуется, как отдельно стоящее позапрошлогоднее произведение.
Хотя, конечно, лучше у знатоков и любителей уточнить - тем более, что какая-то закавыка с годом действия.
LyoSHICK
Стажёр

Сообщение Murena » Пн янв 25, 2010 03:11

Коллеги, а можно к вам в компанию? :-)
А то французские семинары что-то совсем заглохли...
Murena

Язык(-и): Fr-Ru, Ru-Fr, En-Ru, Esp-Ru

Сообщение LyoSHICK » Пн янв 25, 2010 09:12

Murena писал(а):Коллеги, а можно к вам в компанию? :-)

Это что же - из языка в язык?
Прямо не знаю; а разве так можно?
LyoSHICK
Стажёр

Re: Английский семинар №10

Сообщение Еленка » Пн янв 25, 2010 11:49

И я буду участвовать. Как раз сессия закончилась...
Вежливость - это не только послать, но и проводить.
Еленка

Сообщение Marko » Пн янв 25, 2010 12:37

Murena писал(а):Коллеги, а можно к вам в компанию? А то французские семинары что-то совсем заглохли...

Конечно, можно.
Вот только с разбором перевода на французский у нас будут трудности. :mrgreen:
(Станислав Ежи Лец)
Marko
Физик

Сообщение Mira_L » Пн янв 25, 2010 16:23

=шепотом= И я хочу поучаствовать. :97:
Если бы в одно прекрасное утро мы обнаружили, что отныне все люди - одной нации, одной веры и одной расы, то еще до обеда мы бы изобрели новые предубеждения.
(c) Джордж Эйкен
Mira_L

Язык(-и): az/tr/es>ru

Сообщение Marko » Пн янв 25, 2010 16:42

Почему шепотом? Английский не сложнее испанского, буквы такие же, даже проще - без шляпки (как у ñ). :wink:
(Станислав Ежи Лец)
Marko
Физик

Сообщение LyoSHICK » Пн янв 25, 2010 18:34

Marko!
Варианты переводов заранее не обсуждаем!
LyoSHICK
Стажёр

Сообщение polymerase » Пн янв 25, 2010 18:47

Тоже очень хочу! Попробую успеть.
"... А это уже второй вопрос!"
polymerase

Блог: Просмотр блога (31)
Язык(-и): En--> Ru, Ru-->En

Сообщение Mira_L » Пн янв 25, 2010 23:05

Marko писал(а):Почему шепотом?

Шепотом - потому что в английском я ну очень начинающий переводчик. Мне просто интересно попробовать свои силы. Надеюсь, при разборе старшие (по опыту) коллеги будут бить больно, но аккуратно. :grin:
Если бы в одно прекрасное утро мы обнаружили, что отныне все люди - одной нации, одной веры и одной расы, то еще до обеда мы бы изобрели новые предубеждения.
(c) Джордж Эйкен
Mira_L

Язык(-и): az/tr/es>ru

Пред.След.

Словари русского языка

www.gramota.ru
Словарь Мультитран
Язык

Вернуться в Семинары